A weblog might be difficult to get proper. There’s a whole lot of data to show, and you possibly can simply make your web site really feel cluttered, which negatively impacts your website’s consumer expertise.
Having a poor UX in your website comes with its personal set of drawbacks, too, like an elevated bounce price and a drop in search engine rankings. In the meantime, since there’s a ton of blogs on the web immediately, standing out from the group is tough sufficient as it’s.
Nonetheless, there’s nonetheless a whole lot of blogs on the market that get issues proper, and which means there’s loads of design examples you could comply with.
1. Smashing Journal
Smashing Magazine makes use of loads of whitespace to present its web site some respiratory room.
The above-the-fold part attracts consideration to its most up-to-date weblog put up, which is accompanied by a brief description of the put up’s contents. Smashing Journal retains the identical theme under the fold, the place it shows quite a few different weblog posts.
The web site goals to generate conversions by encouraging guests to enroll in its e-newsletter. The headline and supporting copy on the fitting summarize the e-newsletter’s contents and advantages. In the meantime, the CTA button itself is simple and strikes steadiness between attracting consideration and never being too obnoxious with its easy white background and pink font.
Right here’s what Smashing Journal does proper:
- The navigation menu features a search bar to assist guests discover particular weblog posts.
- The whitespace above the fold makes the webpage really feel much less cluttered, stopping guests from feeling overwhelmed.
- The CTA highlights the contents and advantages of its e-newsletter instantly.
SitePoint makes use of a two-tone design to make a beautiful webpage that promotes its programs. The headline and supporting copy are descriptive and persuasive, whereas the CTA button stands out via contrasting colours.
The remainder of the webpage makes use of whitespace and locations its weblog within the heart to supply some respiratory room. Once more, SitePoint signifies every weblog put up’s matter via color-coded labels, and the weblog titles are accompanied by quick descriptions.
Right here’s what SitePoint does proper:
- The 2-tone design serves a double objective—it enhances the web site’s look and it promotes its programs.
- Weblog posts are accompanied by illustrations that allude to every put up’s matter and provides the web site a nice look.
- SitePoint declutters the web site through the use of whitespace each on the left and proper aspect of the display.
Copyblogger takes a daring strategy to promotion with an above-the-fold part that focuses solely on its e-newsletter signup kind.
The lead magnet’s copy begins with a query to get guests engaged with a free providing, whereas the signup course of solely requires an e mail tackle. This strategy is rooted in the concept that the less steps prospects need to undergo to transform, the extra conversions you’ll generate.
Right here’s what Copyblogger will get proper:
- The lead magnet copy is concise but participating, whereas the inclusion of a single signup kind encourages conversions.
- Its headline immediately lets guests know the way they’ll profit from studying the weblog or signing up for its e-newsletter.
- The white and grey colour scheme provides the homepage a glossy look.
4. Design Methods
Design Systems contains colourful geometric components in its background to present the homepage a enjoyable look. Its hero part shows a single put up, which eliminates the danger of overwhelming customers with too many choices and as an alternative highlights one essential piece of content material.
Nonetheless, the web site’s design strategy shines under the fold as nicely. It contains uncovered grid traces so as to add area and clearly distinguish between totally different posts. The design is extremely minimalist, however the shapes and colours add a splash of life.
The headlines are additionally straight to the purpose and accompanied by supporting copy that summarizes the contents of every put up.
Right here’s what Design Methods will get proper:
- The colourful shapes and minimalist design strike a steadiness between aesthetics and performance.
- Uncovered grid traces make the format really feel extra structured and enhance scannability.
- It provides nearly no distractions, thus bettering the chances of sustaining a customer’s full consideration.
5. The Moz Weblog
The Moz Blog doesn’t fiddle. Its headline merely states the weblog’s title, whereas the supporting copy lets guests know the way they’ll profit from it. After that, the web page jumps proper into posts.
The content material is cut up into two symmetrical columns throughout all the homepage. This prevents customers from feeling overwhelmed with too many choices. Every put up is accompanied by an illustration, headline, and supporting copy that summarizes the content material.
Right here’s what The Moz Weblog does proper:
- It features a dropdown menu so guests can simply filter content material by class.
- The illustrations are enjoyable and add a splash of colour to the web page.
- It alleviates alternative paralysis by solely together with two decisions per row.
6. HubSpot Weblog
HubSpot Blog resorts to minimalism to show a excessive variety of posts. The webpage makes use of imagery and weblog descriptions sparingly above the fold, whereas the fonts are sufficiently small to depart room for extra content material.
Regardless of the massive quantity of content material, HubSpot locations posts underneath particular subjects to boost the searching expertise. The web site makes use of mega menus and a search field to make navigation simple.
HubSpot primarily makes use of a white background so as to add to the web page’s simplicity and provides it extra respiratory room. The web site attracts consideration to CTAs by giving the buttons a brilliant orange colour, which is in stark distinction with the background.
Right here’s what HubSpot Weblog does proper:
- The web site contains mega menus and a search field to assist guests simply discover exact data.
- It makes use of a minimalistic design so it may well show a lot of posts with out cluttering the display.
- It peppers CTAs all through the webpage and makes them stand out by way of contrasting colours.
7. Influencer Advertising and marketing Hub
Influencer Marketing Hub shows much less content material above the fold in comparison with HubSpot. This helps alleviate the results of determination paralysis and nudges customers to click on on just a few choose posts. The web site additionally neatly organizes its content material via a grid-based format—every row shows three posts, assuring symmetry and a constant searching expertise.
The higher portion of the display goes simple on design components to drive consideration towards the headline, which briefly summarizes the web site’s content material. That is splendid for letting first-time guests know what to anticipate.
Right here’s what Influencer Advertising and marketing Hub does proper:
- Its headline is attention-grabbing and briefly states how the web site helps its guests.
- The enjoyable illustrations and pastel colours makes the web site enticing and straightforward on the eyes.
- The homepage contains a number of sorts of posts, like case research, listicles, and how-to guides. This offers guests selection, making them extra more likely to discover the posts that attraction to them.
8. PPC Hero
In the identical vein, PPC Hero’s pastel colours result in a nice searching expertise. This time, nevertheless, this web site makes use of a hero part to drive full consideration to 1 particular weblog put up. Then, solely the CTA is positioned under and blends in properly with the remainder of the web page.
PPC Hero’s below-the-fold content material shows extra weblog posts, with only one weblog per row. This creates a clutter-free searching expertise and provides guests a simple manner to decide on the blogs they wish to learn.
Every weblog put up is accompanied by a brief description and an illustration that gives further context. Guests can bounce between a number of weblog classes by way of a drop-down menu positioned under the fold on the left-hand aspect of the display—a extremely seen spot.
Right here’s what PPC Hero does proper:
- It contains a number of navigation choices within the header part—a major menu, a secondary menu, a search field, and two clickable logos.
- The web site’s minimalist strategy doesn’t distract guests with too many choices, making them extra more likely to click on on a particular put up.
- There’s a e-newsletter CTA each above the fold and within the web page’s footer, making it extra more likely to drive conversions.
9. BBQ Hero
BBQ Hero wastes no time in explaining what its web site is about within the headline and header part of its webpage.
The hero part additionally promotes the location’s e-newsletter—it stands out via a white background and features a single kind subject to compel customers into signing up. The copy is participating and explains the e-newsletter’s advantages.
BBQ Hero divides its recipes into three columns, each devoted to particular grilling gear. This helps guests simply discover the recipes they’re searching for.
The homepage concludes with a short presentation of the web site’s authors, which goals to ascertain a stronger reference to guests.
Right here’s what BBQ Hero does proper:
- The web page’s headline describes the weblog’s content material, whereas the background picture supplies further context.
- The e-newsletter promotion is minimal however extremely efficient. It grabs consideration, whereas its copy is persuasive and lets guests know precisely how they’ll profit from signing up.
- Its three-column format does job of differentiating content material for guests.
10. Finances Bytes
Budget Bytes focuses on mouth-watering imagery to attract consideration and supply further context to every certainly one of its weblog posts. It additionally shows costs of every recipe underneath the put up titles, which provides readers essential data and stays true to the weblog’s title.
The navigation menu on the top-right is well-structured, with dropdown menus indicated by brilliant yellow icons that add an additional layer of visible help.
The below-the-fold content material can also be laid out nicely—it divides recipes into numerous related classes, comparable to dishes for the autumn or recipes underneath $10.
Right here’s what Finances Bytes does proper:
- The web site’s strategy to repeat is gentle, well-structured, and emphasizes using pictures. This makes the Finances Bytes weblog simple to scan and navigate.
- It features a social sharing button within the backside proper. This makes it simple for guests to share recipes with their mates, whereas the share counter acts as social proof.
- Navigation objects with dropdown menus are clearly indicated by brilliant contrasting icons.
11. Inexperienced Automotive Stories
The Green Car Reports weblog is minimalistic and environment friendly. Its prime information part occupies the most important portion of the display, making it simple to identify trending articles. In the meantime, it additionally locations its automotive overview part in a vertical carousel on the fitting, which customers can browse by way of brilliant inexperienced navigation arrows.
The weblog’s headlines don’t require any guesswork, as they’re extremely descriptive. The identical might be mentioned in regards to the navigation menu, which has labels that immediately let customers know which pages they’ll go to as soon as they click on on them.
Right here’s what Inexperienced Automotive Stories does proper:
- It highlights important design components like CTAs and carousel navigation buttons in brilliant inexperienced. This attracts consideration but in addition matches the environmentally pleasant theme.
- The online copy is simple, whereas the photographs present visible context and enhance the web site’s aesthetics.
- The carousels are signaled by the brilliant navigation buttons.
Treehugger embraces whitespace and makes it an integral a part of its design. It provides the webpage loads of respiratory room and helps customers scan via content material with ease. The sunshine-blue touches additionally brighten up the web page and provides it a playful look.
Treehugger doesn’t go overboard with its design components, particularly above the fold. It makes use of imagery to drive consideration to its most related article, whereas the newest information part is positioned neatly on the fitting.
Moreover, its navigation labels are additionally clear, whereas every menu merchandise accommodates its personal dropdown menu. That is good for together with a number of navigation choices with out cluttering the display.
Right here’s what Treehugger does proper:
- Reasonably than specializing in the newest releases, the homepage largely showcases widespread posts throughout a number of classes. Some are emphasised via imagery.
- Though used sparingly, the light-blue touches considerably contribute to the web page’s nice design.
- The social buttons within the header additionally show the web page’s follower rely—which is a intelligent manner of including social proof.
13. Cup of Couple
Cup of Couple makes use of the highest portion of the display to showcase featured articles in a carousel format. This prime positioning ensures that guests received’t miss out on them.
In the meantime, the web site additionally makes use of uncovered grid traces to arrange navigation menu objects and separate weblog posts.
Moreover, relatively than the normal white background, Cup of Couple selected a light-gray colour scheme. Coupled with the massive fonts and uncovered grids, the web site is straightforward on the eyes and extremely scannable.
Nonetheless, giant fonts can typically occupy an excessive amount of display area—particularly in content-heavy web sites. Cup of Couple offers with this by animating its longer headlines in a information ticker fashion. These animations play as soon as guests hover their mouse over a particular headline.
Right here’s what Cup of Couple does proper:
- The sunshine-gray background doesn’t pressure the eyes and provides off a calming ambiance.
- The uncovered grid traces make the online content material simple to scan and add to the web site’s aesthetics.
- The big fonts improve readability and complement the remainder of the web site’s design.
14. Lovers Journal
Lovers Magazine makes use of all the above-the-fold part of the homepage to showcase its newest interview.
The split-screen format additionally provides to the web site’s look and separates the headline and supporting copy from the picture. The copy introduces the interviewee, providing simply sufficient data to get guests to learn extra about it.
The web site’s imagery presents a private introduction to every interviewee, which provides further context and improves the design’s aesthetics. The inclusion of human faces can also be attention-grabbing and helps guests set up a stronger reference to the web site.
Right here’s what Lovers Journal does proper:
- The header blends in with the remainder of the homepage’s design, making it much less distracting.
- The above-the-fold picture serves a number of functions—it enhances aesthetics, grabs consideration, and supplies further context to the supporting copy.
- The web site’s minimalistic strategy retains the customer’s consideration on the interviews.
15. Say Sure
Say Yes follows an analogous format to Lovers Journal. Nonetheless, the split-screen format is symmetrical this time, putting a steadiness between copy and visuals.
The web site’s emblem together with its tagline is the very first thing guests see—and that’s wonderful for spreading the model’s message. The principle article’s headline and supporting copy additionally give attention to describing the put up’s content material and invitations customers to learn extra.
Moreover, Say Sure shows much less content material under the fold to enhance scannability. The navigation menu is as simple as it may well get—it contains two menu objects and a search bar, whereas the primary subjects are positioned underneath a dropdown menu to declutter the display.
Right here’s what Say Sure does proper:
- The emphasis on imagery coupled with a white and smooth pink colour scheme provides the web page a nice, enjoyable look.
- The emblem and tagline are positioned in a extremely seen spot, establishing a reference to guests as quickly as they land on the web page.
- It makes use of whitespace to declutter the display and focus consideration on particular person items of content material.
Equally, Adventure.com makes use of many of the above-the-fold part of the homepage to focus on particular person weblog posts.
Nonetheless, the hero picture is now a part of the web site’s background, which additionally makes use of a carousel to show a number of posts. This offers guests extra selection with out having to scroll anyplace. The carousel comes with a transparent progress bar and navigation arrows positioned on both aspect of the display.
Once more, the web site’s minimalistic design retains customers centered on the content material. The below-the-fold content material is nicely structured, with posts divided into a number of classes to make the webpage simply scannable.
Right here’s what Journey.com does proper:
- Reasonably than redirecting guests to a different web page, the e-newsletter signup permits customers to enter their contact particulars instantly on the homepage.
- The hero picture carousel isn’t automated, which is much less distracting and permits customers to view the slides at their very own tempo.
- Every weblog’s headline is proven in full, whereas the accompanying pictures add visible context.
17. The Broke Backpacker
The Broke Backpacker attracts consideration to its e-book as quickly as guests land on the webpage. The headline and supporting copy are well-crafted—they’re persuasive and briefly describe the e-book’s advantages.
The CTA stands out via brilliant colours, whereas its copy is descriptive and in good continuity with the headline—it invitations customers to learn how they’ll journey the world for $10 per day.
The positioning familiarizes customers with what the web site is about proper under the fold, whereas the weblog posts are proven additional down. This helps guests set up a reference to the weblog and construct a little bit hype earlier than diving into the posts.
Right here’s what The Broke Backpacker does proper:
- Reasonably than a generic “Signal-Up Now” CTA, its “Discover Out How” copy is extra inviting and works higher with the headline.
- Its navigation menu isn’t distracting, nevertheless it provides hyperlinks to pages guests could discover helpful.
- The web site takes the time essential to introduce itself to first-time guests.
18. Lady Gone Overseas
In distinction, Girl Gone Abroad introduces the weblog in only a few phrases. The headline briefly states the blogger’s journey expertise, whereas the button above it’s simple and invitations guests to view the location’s weblog posts instantly.
The background video makes the web page really feel a little bit extra dynamic and conveys a calming ambiance.
Reasonably than displaying quite a few weblog posts on the homepage, Lady Gone Overseas contains navigation hyperlinks to pages devoted to particular continents under the fold—it’s handy and permits them to shortly discover the posts they’re most all for.
Right here’s what Lady Gone Overseas does proper:
- The web site is well-structured—it helps guests shortly discover the content material they’re most all for.
- The homepage contains minimal design components, bettering consumer expertise and loading occasions.
- The headline/tagline is brief, catchy, and descriptive.
19. Airbnb Newsroom
The Airbnb Newsroom weblog is extremely minimalistic—it’s heavy on whitespace, utilizing pictures to supply further context and play into the design’s aesthetics.
The above-the-fold part shows a single put up, driving consideration to an essential information piece. In the meantime, the headline is simple and the CTA button pops via contrasting colours. All of this stuff mixed entice the consumer to proceed onward.
The remainder of the homepage is cut up into a number of classes, permitting customers to skim via content material with ease.
Right here’s what Airbnb Newsroom does proper:
- It makes use of whitespace as a option to embrace quite a few posts with out making the web page really feel cluttered.
- The hero part shows a single put up—this prevents customers from feeling overwhelmed by too many decisions.
- The homepage carousels don’t auto-play, making them much less distracting.
WIRED follows a newspaper-like format. Though considerably old-school, it’s efficient at displaying giant quantities of knowledge whereas protecting the web page simple to scan.
The above-the-fold part is cut up into three asymmetrical columns based mostly on significance—the center one takes up probably the most area, drawing consideration to a single information piece.
The asymmetrical theme is discovered all through the remainder of the web page however underneath a row-based format. This breaks continuity, making the web page much less tiring to take a look at. The rows are additionally cut up by black traces, serving to customers distinguish between numerous information classes.
Right here’s what WIRED does proper:
- Its asymmetrical format breaks up the content material and establishes a visible hierarchy.
- Every article shows the headline in full and is accompanied by related pictures—serving to customers perceive the content material matter.
- The white-on-black textual content beneath the gridlines signifies the class of every column or row.
21. Display Rant
Screen Rant goes for a extra symmetrical strategy by making one particular headline piece the identical dimension as two smaller posts, whereas additionally positioning it on the left aspect to draw extra consideration.
The web site’s navigation menu contains clear labels, permitting customers to browse content material devoted to particular subjects.
Moreover, relatively than separating the headlines from the photographs, Display Rant merges the 2 to avoid wasting display area above the fold. Then, every below-the-fold headline is accompanied by supporting copy that summarizes the put up’s contents.
Right here’s what Display Rant does proper:
- It saves display area above the fold by inserting headlines on pictures.
- The white background provides the web site extra respiratory room, regardless of the massive quantity of content material.
- The navigation menu features a search bar to assist guests simply discover particular articles.
Mashable highlights the primary headline by inserting it on a white background, establishing stark distinction to the remainder of the above-the-fold content material.
What’s fascinating about Mashable’s design is that the hero picture is instantly tied to the primary headline—you may click on on the picture and also you’ll be directed to the weblog put up in query.
This is a superb manner to attract consideration to a particular piece of content material and concurrently declutter the display. The below-the-fold content material switches to a white background thereafter—thus making the web page simple to scan regardless of exhibiting extra content material. Once more, the navigation menu’s labels are clear, permitting guests to browse explicit subjects.
Right here’s what Mashable does proper:
- Its design switches to a white background under the fold for higher scannability.
- Its search field within the top-right permits guests to search out explicit content material with ease.
- The hero picture declutters the above-the-fold format.
23. Fast Sprout
You’re going to need to forgive us for the cheeky pat on our personal again right here, however our knowledge makes us imagine that we do job of displaying a number of weblog posts above the fold. We set up posts with headers and color-coded labels to assist guests browse the homepage simply, and we additionally attempt to entice consideration to a featured put up with a hero picture.
We additionally promote our e-newsletter within the upper-left part of our webpage—which we really feel is an effective transfer since guests spend 80% of their time viewing the left a part of a webpage.
Right here’s what Fast Sprout does proper:
- It declutters the navigation menu via mega drop-down menus, indicating that navigation objects are half of a bigger menu by together with arrows subsequent to every merchandise.
- It supplies a shortcut for conversions by permitting guests to enter their e mail addresses instantly on the homepage.
- It makes use of color-coded labels to arrange its weblog posts and improve the searching UX.
Running a blog includes much more than simply developing with concepts, writing them, and formatting your content material correctly. You additionally need to take your weblog’s design into consideration, as a result of if customers don’t have time studying it or expertise searching it, the content material will hardly matter.
When you’re prepared to begin your individual weblog, the 23 examples above will hopefully set you on the fitting path and encourage a great-looking design that works each for you and in your audiences.
Simply take note—no one likes a cluttered web site, so whitespace is your buddy.